What Is Part P Building Regulation?

What is part p building regulation

What is Part P Building Regulation? What does Part P mean? Who does Part P apply to?

Part P isn’t a qualification. Part P isn’t a type of an electrician. Part P isn’t a scheme. So, what is Part P Building Regulation?

Part P is a building regulation in England and Wales covering electrical safety in dwellings. The requirements are produced in Approved Document P – electrical safety, dwellings. Part P is statutory meaning it must be adhered to. Part P is a legal requirement.

What is Part P of the building regulations?

Part P was introduced in 2005 to reduce danger from electricity in residential premises. ALL electrical work in people’s homes in England and Wales whether carried out by a registered electrician or as DIY, must meet the requirements of Part P of the building regulations.

ALL electrical work in residential homes must meet Part P of the building regulations

The current edition explains when notification of work is required. Information on the design, installation, inspection, testing and provision of information is explained.

What is part p building regulation
Photo credit: Karen from She’s Electric

What electrical work is notifiable?

Some types of electrical work need to be notified to the local building control. This needs to be done prior to commencement of the work or can be notified afterwards if the installer is registered with an electrical competent person scheme. Competent person schemes include Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC and Stroma. A register of companies or electricians who are accredited by one of the schemes can be found here.

If the electrical work is carried out by a registered electrician, the electrical company will be able to register the work on behalf of the client online and produce a certificate of notification. This isn’t the electrical installation or minor electrical installation works certificate which is a document to show compliance with the British wiring regulations BS7671. They are two separate certificates.

Examples of notifiable electrical work

The following are examples of electrical installation work in a home that requires notification to building control:

  • A new installation or rewire.
  • The replacement of a consumer unit (fuse board).
  • New circuits.
  • Alterations to existing circuits in a special location such as rooms containing a bath or a shower, swimming pools or saunas.
  • Alterations to existing circuits in a kitchen (Wales only).
  • Alterations in gardens.

What areas of a dwelling does Part P cover?

The scope of Part P covers any house or flat that is intended for the use for living in. It covers the gardens of a home and any outbuildings. It includes communal areas in blocks of flats including laundry rooms and gyms. It doesn’t include any commercial areas such retail units in blocks of flats unless the commercial areas are connected to the same electrical meter. It doesn’t include lift supplies in blocks of flats but does include lifts in houses.

Who is responsible for making sure that electrical work in your home meets the requirements of Part P?

By law, the homeowner or landlord must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence.

Local authorities have the power to make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any electrical work that does not meet the requirements of the Building Regulations.

You can find out more about building regulations and planning permissions here.

Part P
Part P

What do I need to do before electrical installation work can be carried out in my home?

You must first check whether the work is notifiable. If it is then you must either;

Employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved competent person schemes; or

Tell (‘notify’) your local-authority building-control about the installation work before work begins.

Why not read our article – do electricians need to be registered?

Does Part P apply to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Part P applies to England and Wales, but they have different building regulations. Part P doesn’t apply to Scotland as they have the Building Standards system. At the present time Northern Ireland has no equivalent statutory requirement. You can download Part P for either country free of charge by clicking on the links below.

Download a free copy of Part P England.

Download a free copy of Part P Wales.

What is Part P qualified?

Part P isn’t a qualification. You may hear some electricians saying they have their Part P or they are Part P registered. This is just a trade expression. Usually it means they have undertaken an electrical short course on domestic electrics and are registered with a competent person scheme.

Individuals can complete an electrical short course and be registered with a competent person scheme so they can notify building control on the client’s behalf. It doesn’t mean they are competent to carry out electrical work. Some training providers sell electrical short courses titled “Part P course”.

A few Part P facts

  • Part P is a building regulation
  • It is the law
  • It applies in England and Wales
  • The building regulations slightly differ between England and Wales
  • It is the building owner’s responsibility to ensure notifiable electrical works are notified
  • ALL electrical works in residential premises are subject to Part P
  • It isn’t a qualification

Make sure that if you have electrical work carried out in residential premises, that you download for free the Part P building regulations for England or Wales to ensure you meet the requirements.

Written by Dan Jackson AKA Dans the Engineer in Rishikesh, India

WhatsApp WhatsApp Dan!